The Ballyfermot Heritage Group started in January 2003 and we meet in the Ballyfermot Library every second Thursday at 6.30pm till 7.45pm.
We get local people and people that are home on holidays from around the world that drop in. The Heritage Group is open to all and our moto is ‘come along, say hello, and share a memory’.
The mission of the Ballyfermot Heritage Group is to raise awareness in every resident in Ballyfermot of their heritage in all its forms ( e.g. physical, geographical, social, cultural, environmental), so as to help create a sense of, and contribute to, Ballyfermot and its surroundings, and to identify with the community in the past, present, and future.
- To be a broadly based organisation, with participation from community groups, statutory agencies, hospitals, schools, colleges, training providers and local businesses.
- To pursue social, educational, and possible employment opportunities for all.
- To promote social inclusion, community participation, and volunteering.
- To promote awareness of the benefits of heritage in all its forms, and to increase participation in its preservation and conservation.
- To help maintain, update and expand the Community Archives through photo and local history information websites.
- To reach out, not only to the people of Ballyfermot and the surrounding communities, but to our emigrants all over the world.
- To develop and continue the oral history Archives.
- To develop and help maintain the photographic Archive and the newspaper Archive located in Ballyfermot Library.
- To encourage continued recordings of present day life in Ballyfermot, which will form part of tomorrow’s past heritage.
- To advertise the community fabric, both past and present, via social Internet sites, local papers, activities during the year and principally Heritage Week.
- Membership is open to every individual or group who wish to support the aims of the association.